What is Home Insurance in South Africa?

A home is the place where you can feel safe, where you can be yourself, a place you can call your own. But to make sure your home is safe and secure you need to have adequate insurance cover. Cover for your building and your contents is vital to ensure you are covered in the worst-case scenario.

But is this insurance just for homeowners? No! There are two types of insurance that fall under home insurance, and they are suited to different needs.

Lets look at the two options and what they cover.

Household Contents Insurance

Household contents insurance is the home insurance that covers all the contents and belongs in your home. You are usually insured up to a specific amount for the value of the content in your home.

What items are covered?

Household contents insurance covers most items within your home including:

  • Clothes
  • Electronics
  • Appliances
  • Furniture
  • Plants
  • Jewellery
  • Cameras
  • Books
  • And More

You can also specify specific items that are valuable or have sentimental value. This can be laptops, pianos, wedding rings or similar that you want to be covered. Some policies require the insured to specify electronics and jewellery on the policy.

Household contents insurance protects and covers the items within your home for a number of instances such as theft, fire, floods, damage and more. However, this can vary from policy to policy. This can give you peace of mind, knowing that your content is covered.

Household contents insurance often has All Risk insurance added to it. This type of insurance covers specific assets outside of your home as well. Read more about All Risk Insurance here.

Household Contents Insurance can be taken out by owners or renters of a property to cover the assets in their home.

Building Insurance

Building Insurance is fairly simple. It covers the building and surrounds. It will cover you in the event that your building is damaged due to flood, fire, earthquake, weather and many other instances. Speak to your broker to find out exactly what you are covered for.

Building insurance is usually only taken out by the owner of the property as it is their asset. Speak to your broker to access your exact situation.


Home insurance is a great product that offers cover for the place you call home. Whether you are looking for Household Contents or Building Insurance, EU Brokers is ready and equipped to help you with your home insurance needs. Our firm has over 22 years of experience helping clients like you find the cover that suits your needs.

Contact A Broker Today!